Travel To Andros
Direct Charters from Florida
- Skip Customs/Immigration in Nassau.
- No layover in Nassau.
- More time spent fishing.
Commercial Flights from Nassau
Whichever way you choose, you’ll fly into Fresh Creek, Andros, Bahamas, a quaint Airport with a friendly small-island feel. We will arrange for a taxi driver to be waiting to drive you to the Lodge. Transfers are $50/per trip and 2 passengers, $3.00 for any extra person. Of course, if you wish to do some exploring on your own you can rent a car, which are typically available for between $70-$85 per day. Typical drive is 15-20 minutes from Fresh Creek to Big Charlie’s Lodge.
About Nassau (Lynden Pindling) Intl. Airport
Andros By Sea
For the more adventurous angler you might consider taking a trip over on Bahamas Fast Ferries. They provide a fun alternative to air travel between Nassau and Fresh Creek on Andros, and (depending on day/season) it can also be a savings. Departing from Potters Cay, Nassau, the ferry Sealink makes the trip to Andros in 2.5 hrs. Schedules are subject to change so be sure to confirm times with a Fast Ferries agent at (242) 323-2166 or visit their website.
IMPORTANT TRAVEL INFO
- All U.S. citizens MUST now have a valid, current passport for entry/reentry to the United States.
- See the Official Bahamas website for a complete list of entry requirements for other nationalities.
- Fly into Fresh Creek, Andros. This is the closest airport to Big Charlie & Fatiha’s Lodge.
- Schedule arrival in Nassau as early as possible to avoid having to overnight there.
- Save $15 for departure tax, unless it is already built into your ticket price.
- Travel insurance recommended, particularly during the Hurricane Season.
Andros Fast Facts
- Nearest Air Hub: Nassau Intl. Airport
- Airport: Fresh Creek, Andros Town
- Fishing Season: Year-round; Oct-June Peak Season
- Average Temps: Summer – 21°C to 34°C (70°F to 93°F); Winter – 15°C to 24°C (60°F to 75°F).
- Humidity: relative humidity of 60-80%
- Rainy Season: May-June & Sept-Oct.
- Hurricane Season: June-Nov. – (Peak months: July-Oct.)
- Population: 7,686 (as of 2000)
- Area (km².): 5,957
- Capitol: Andros Town
Flying with Fly Tackle
- Carry-On vs. Checked Bags: Expensive tackle—rods, reels, etc—should be carry-on, but fly-lines are an occasional problem. It’s been a while since we’ve had any issues, but there have been reports of anglers being asked to remove them when leaving the Bahamas. Within the US there’s no problem, but you should be prepared to check them if requested by security personnel. Simply removing the spools from your fly-reel can be a quick solution.
- Flies: The United States Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) actually recommends carrying expensive flies in your carry-on luggage. (See Article Here.) However, that may not be the case in other countries or leaving the Bahamas. If traveling from the US we recommend carrying on your flies and then checking them on the flight home.
- Gadgets & Gizmos: You’ll want to bring a camera to capture the ‘big one’, but don’t forget to insure it. Most travel-insurance companies require a small additional fee for electronics like phones, digi-cams, iPods, and laptops.
- All Wet: If you do any wade-fishing, you might have wet boots to carry home with you. A dry-bag or large zip-lock can protect the rest of your luggage.